Some decent photos of various stoves etc        Daily tweeterings !!        Selected industry videos

Next order for Extraflame #woodpellet stoves & boilers will be placed on 
Mon 28th Aug 2017.     

Cleaning Rods & Brushes

Wood pellet stove cleaning rods & brushesWood Pellet
Cleaning rods  
& brushes, from
€21.00 inc vat

Click Here

Raimo Big Bag Dispenser

Raimo bulk bag dispenserSafely empty the contents of your fertilizer, feed, seed or #woodpellet bulk bag. 
Raimo Information

An Introduction to Biomass Fuels

 

~ please note that this document is still being completed ~ 

  

Wood pellets - a fuel for the 21st century

Energy use is directly responsible for carbon dioxide emissions.

This is because currently most of our energy is source and made from fossil fuels, such as oil, coal and turf. In a typical house 83% of this energy is used for space and hot water heating, the remaining 17% is used for electricity.

By using a sustainable, carbon neutral source of fuel such as wood pellets to heat and possibly power our buildings, we can drastically cut our emissions and save money.

 

bio·mass (n)

1. The total mass of living matter within a given unit of environmental area.

2. Plant material, vegetation, or agricultural waste used as a fuel or energy source.

Biomass materials include all land and water based vegetation e.g. trees and organic waste such as manures, sewage and forestry residues such as leafy matter.

Unlike fossil fuel, biomass is a renewable form of energy which means that it can be replaced over a short period of time. Biomass material is an organic material both in its raw or processed state. Biomass can either be burnt directly or turned into a liquid or gaseous form of fuel.

 

Essentially biomass is 'stored solar energy’

Examples of biomass include:

• Fast-growing trees and grasses, such as willow coppice ;
• Agricultural residues, such as wheat, straw or vegetable oils ;
• Wood waste, such as sawdust, joinery waste & pallets

 

Using biomass as a fuel has many benefits over fossil fuels:

1. economic :

- can be cheaper than fossil fuels ;
- stimulates rural economies ;
- provides more jobs ;
- encourages local energy production and consumption.

 

2. energy  :

- reduces reliance on fossil fuels and oil prices (OPEC) ;
- enhances national and economic security ;
- highly efficient heating combustion methods.

 

3. environmental  :

- reduces greenhouse gas emissions (methane and CO2) ;
- eliminates acid rain (biomass contains no sulphur) ;
- reduces amounts of landfill (waste wood is biomass fuel) ;
- can create habitats for wildlife.

 

How can biomass help reduce carbon dioxide emissions ?

The use of wood pellets as a fuel has huge potential to reduce both carbon dioxide and greenhouse gas emissions.  

Burning fossil fuels such as heating oil, coal and turf releases carbon that has been ‘locked away’ underground for thousands of years and transforms it into CO2 polluting the atmosphere. By burning fossil fuels we are creating a carbon imbalance which, since the 'industrial revolution' has lead and is still contributing to global warming.

In a combustion system, both biomass and fossil fuels release carbon dioxide into the atmosphere as they burn. However biomass also needs carbon dioxide to grow. This creates a 'carbon cycle’ where the same amount of CO2 is absorbed from the atmosphere by the biomass when it is growing as is released when it is burnt. This closed carbon cycle makes biomass fuel ‘carbon neutral’.

In addition biomass fuels do not contain many of the noxious gases and pollutants that are released when fossil fuels are burnt such as nitrogen oxides, sulphur dioxide, volatile organic compounds and heavy metals.

 

 Carbon Dioxide (CO2) emissions per fuel type

 Fuel type

 kg CO2 / GJ

 Electricity

115 

 Coal - bagged

81

 Heating oil

79 

 Gas - bottled

69

 Gas - mains

54 

 Wood

To Note
Wood has a figure of 7Kg CO2/GJ - this is an average figure calulated from the transport involved in shipping the fuel. 
* CO2 emissions for coal and heating oil are over 10 times greater than wood *